Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Why I Do What I Do.... Wait, Why Do I Do What I Do?

This week has been one of those weeks that I like to call: Foundational. In Proverbs 14:1 the Bible says, "Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands." Well, I have an imagination and I like to think about my "daily grind" as a building project. Some days I may be watching kids play pleasantly and giving some positive affirmation here and there. These are painting days (because I like painting). Some times, my days are consumed with breaking up fights, scolding and correcting. This is like putting up walls to me! Anyway, you get my point.
Some times, I have these really tedious weeks of learning and implementing new things. You know, the weeks you sit at the computer for 30 hours doing research while your kids are tearing the place up. The kind of week where your hand is stuck in a permanent writing position because you used it so much to record information. These are the weeks I call- Foundational. Maybe I'm laying down the foundation for a new laundry room........... (Okay, I know that was corny!)
Back to the point, I have been working on our first, official year of school's lesson plans (Try to say that 3 times fast!). Boy, if you had told me when I was in first grade that my teachers worked harder than I did I would have never believed you! This week alone, I have spent over 20 hours just researching for this year. It's a big job, just like everything else about being a mother is a big job.
Why do I do it then? My answer may vary from day to day, but one thing is for sure. I do it because I love my little Munchigans! I love them dirt, snot, poop and all!!! I do not expect to get anything back for what I do. I do not expect to get praised. I don't expect recognition or any reward (although it is rewarding). My motivation is that Gideon, Gabriel and Nathaniel Rylander grow to be God fearing, independent, strong and hard working men each with their own unique personality that has been nurtured and cared for.
I guess tonight as I was going on hour five of trying to get the school and play rooms back in order, I realized that these kids are not "MY" kids. They do not owe me anything. I simply get to borrow them for a little while and do my best to instill in them what they need to start out on the right foot as adults. I was surprised that this thought didn't sadden me; instead it made me realize how much I really love them! I love being a mom!

1 comment:

  1. Danielle, thank you for this lesson. I too know that my children aren't my own. I'm just hoping that I don't mess them up too much before giving them back... Maybe teaching, raising, care and nurturing them is like the parable of the talents. We can't hide them away and expect that we are doing the right thing. Oooo, thanks for that inspirational thought. Maybe I'm off to blog about that one...

    ReplyDelete