Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Breakfast Bake

I have always had a hard time following directions, so when I picked up my first cook book after our wedding and sat down to cook it was no wonder when I simply couldn't. I have such a difficult time following recipes. I finally decided that it would be much better to learn the principles of cooking rather than just following a recipe. This would allow me to cook freely and creatively.
Since those first days after the honeymoon, I have come around a little bit. I still make changes almost every time I do cook with a recipe, but I also enjoy what my darling husband calls, "Experimental Cooking." It is amazing to me when I change things up or try something that doesn't seem like it'd work so well and it comes out delish!
This morning I went to cook breakfast and decided that I was tired of eggs scrambled with vegetables, omelettes and yogurt. I haven't yet bought the stuff I need to make gluten free baked goods, and I simply had no clue what to make for breakfast that would be nourishing and tasty. Nothing came to mind so I started pulling things out of the fridge and pantry. Onions, potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, eggs, milk, hmmm.....I could make something out of this. It turned out amazing! Here's what I made.

Dani's Breakfast Bake
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 medium onion diced
2 to 3 medium tomatoes diced
5 sm potatoes (I used red potatoes. If you use russets you may want to peel them.)
6 lrg. eggs scrambled with a little milk, salt and pepper
handful of shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Add olive oil to a skillet and heat on medium high until oil begins to spread. Add chopped garlic and sautee while stirring approx. 1 minute. Add onion and continue to saute until onion looks clear. Add potatoes and tomatoes to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes more. (Add some water to the bottom of the pan if the potatoes start sticking.) Add about 1/2 cup water to bottom of pan, cover and steam about 10 minutes or until potatoes begin to get soft. Season potato mixture with salt and pepper to your taste. When potatoes are starting to get soft, add the scrambled egg mixture to the top of the pan. Place the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for about 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and eggs are set. Remove from oven and serve!


I can see so many variations for this breakfast bake. Almost any kind of veggie would be divine in this as well as any kind of cheese. What about giving it an Indian flavor by adding curry and cumin? or even a mexican one with ground beef and taco seasoning. The possibilities are endless! Now this is a recipe that I can follow because it has so much room for creativity! I hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment